Police Box Telephone
This wonderful novelty telephone is contained within a 1920's style blue police telephone box. This is not an official Doctor Who item, so it’s not a TARDIS (except is looks very much like one…). With blue wood veneer walls (plastic roof) this is a fantastic stand-out item particularly when it rings and the light on top flashes at the same time (handy for those with hearing problems). There is the option of standing it on a desk or table top or fitting it to a wall. Containing modern telephony equipment, there is a ringer on/off function and the push-button dial is within (the handset is on a cradle behind the hinged door). The cord fits a standard UK phone socket and the unit requires no additional power.
Dimensions: 220 x 200 x 480cm
Doctor Who is the longest running science fiction TV series in the world and recently celebrated its 50th anniversary, having been first broadcast in 1963. The Doctor of the title is a Time Lord from the planet Gallifrey, who travel time and space - usually with human companions.
His means of transport is a TARDIS (Time and Relative Dimension In Space), a sentient time-travelling space ship, the exterior of which appears as a British Police Box (a common sight in Britain when the series first aired). The box does not use the exact design of the actual Police Boxes of the time - the first TARDIS was designed by Peter Brachacki – and it has been refreshed several times in the life of the programme.
The Metropolitan Police first introduced blue police boxes (in London) in 1928 – with the now best-known design (by Gilbert MacKenzie Trench) following in 1929. Initially made of wood, the Trench design became largely concrete, which was more durable, though the doors stayed as wood (teak). Inside was for officers (for reading or completing reports, meal breaks, or temporarily holding prisoners for transport) and functional – a stool, table, incident book, brush and duster, fire extinguisher, first aid kit and a small electric heater. There was also a phone linked directly to the local police station, which could be used by officers or the public. The exterior had a light at the top; when flashing, police officers had to contact the station. The boxes stayed in use until the early 1970s, when personal radios, the 999 emergency number and public access to telephones conspired to make them somewhat redundant.