Oil Giants Of The 1950s Button Badge Set
This set of 4 button badges beautifully recreates the retro feeling - for brands of old. Button badges have always been a fun and simple way to declare our affection for (and/or affiliation with) the things around us. This themed set celebrates some of the classic branding of oil industry of the 1950s:
Dimensions: 25mm each
Mobil was one of the ‘Seven Sisters’ controlling the worldwide petroleum industry between the 1940s and 1970s. Previously the Socony-Vacuum Oil Company, it was renamed in 1955 to Socony Mobil Oil Company and in 1966 "Socony" was dropped. In 1963 the trade name "Mobilgas" became simply "Mobil" which is still a major brand, despite the company’s merger with Exxon in 1999.
Gulf Oil was one of the ‘Seven Sisters’ oil companies between the 1940s and 1970s. It was a major oil corporation from the 1900s to the 1980s until it merged with SOCAL (Standard Oil of California) in 1985 and became Chevron.
Texaco (or "The Texas Company") was one of the ‘Seven Sisters’ oil companies between the 1940s and 1970s. It began as the Texas Fuel Company in 1901 by Joseph S. Cullinan, Thomas J. Donoghue, Walter Benona Sharp, and Arnold Schlaet.
The name Esso is based on the initials of the pre-1911 Standard Oil (SO). While still in use worldwide, the brand was replaced in the US with Exxon.